Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Murphy's Rattle

Here's one I'm especially proud of. It was my first ball-in-cage carving, and also my first chain link. Two moving parts!

Step one: blank out a rough shape. I had originally planned for the chain link to look like a capital letter "M."


















Here you can see the spokes beginning to form. The square shape on the left will become the chain link.


















The ball breaks free within the cage. This is the most time-consuming part of the project. It can be tough to move the blade around between those spokes!



















The chain link is now free. I cut the link in the shape of a shamrock (instead of a capital M)w/Murphy's birth date inscribed. Shamrocks are luckier and less pointy.


















All done!. I left it unfinished except for the green shamrock (which I painted) The rest is plain, sanded, basswood. Early reports indicate that Murphy really digs his personalized rattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment